One of the best replacements for air conditioners is fans. If you are worried about the huge electricity bills, then you can get fans. When you are using fan along with air conditioners, they will help in circulating cool air in a better and faster way. So, you need not have to keep the air conditioner ON for a long time. But for those who do not want to use both air conditioners and fans, which is the better choice – ceiling fans or air conditioners?
This is one of the most common questions that almost every homeowner has in their mind when summers are approaching. Do you rush to a store near you based on the suggestions given by your neighbor or based on what they are following; it is always good to know about both in detail. So, here let us have a look at the pros and cons of air conditioners and ceiling fans.
Ceiling fans – Pros and Cons
Ceiling fans are mounted to the ceiling of the room or space where you want to fix them. They will help in rotating the air inside the room so that your skin gets cool down. The moisture in the skin evaporates, and hence you will feel cool in the room.
You can see a change of at 4 degrees in the room with the ceiling fans. They are available in different styles and sizes according to your requirements.
Pros of ceiling fans
- They are cheaper than air conditioners. You need not have to spend a lot of money on buying a ceiling fan. The running cost of the ceiling fan is also low when compared to the air conditioners.
- You will not need more than 65 watts per hour for running the ceiling fans. This will not give you a big power bill by the end of the month.
- You will not have to spend a lot of money for the maintenance of the fans. All you have to do is a little cleaning on the outside of the fan, which can be done once in a month or for two months.
- They can be used in open space even when the doors and windows are open. You can install the fans in the outdoor space of your house as well. They will help you stay cool when you are relaxing outside the home.
- Ceiling fans do not make the air dry.
Cons of ceiling fans
- A ceiling fan will not cool the room or reduce the temperature. It is due to the cool breeze of air that will make you feel that the place is cool after a few minutes of sitting under the fan.
- If you just came into the house from outside, then you need to stand under the fan for better and faster cooling effect. Otherwise, it is going to take a lot of time, and it is going to be very irritating for you.
- If you are using the wrong size blades like smaller blades for a large room, then the air will not circulate to every corner of the room. That means, if you are very far from the fan, then you will not be able to feel the fan at all.
Air Conditioners – Pros and Cons
Air conditioners are an excellent option for those living in hot weather conditions. It will not just circulate the air around the room, but it will condition the air and change it as per the requirements.
Pros of air conditioners
- Air conditioners are the best for cooling ample space. You will be able to cool even a very large area in just a few minutes if you maintain a low temperature in the air conditioner.
- It does not work on cooling the body of the person sitting in the room. It is going to work on the space. It will cool the room, and hence you will be able to feel it.
- A fan takes a lot of time to show its effect when you step into the house after a long walk on a sunny day. But it is not the case with the air conditioner. You will be able to feel it much quicker.
- You can set the temperature at which you want the air conditioner to work. Different people have different requirements, and hence you will be able to set between 16 to 30 degrees.
- You can even keep the room warm with the air conditioner as it can maintain the place at a higher temperature than it is outside. So, you will feel warm inside the room compared to the outdoor temperature.
Cons of air conditioners
- The air conditioners itself are expensive, and you will also have to pay costly power bills every month. That makes it an expensive way to keep you cool.
- It uses 2200 watts per hour, and that can tell you how much bill you will have to pay at the end of the month.
- You will have to make sure that you are getting the filters cleaned from time to time and the gas is filled up. Periodic maintenance is essential for air conditioners, and that is again going to cost you extra.
- It can get repairs very quickly and hence you need to be very careful while using the air conditioners.
- They cannot be used in open spaces like you use the ceiling fans. So, you will have to make sure that all the doors and windows are closed in the room when you are using air conditioners; otherwise, that can be a waste of electricity for you. You will also end up with extra power bill.
Now, after going through all the details about the ceiling fans and air conditioners, it is your turn to choose from, which is the right choice for your house. It will be based on your requirements alone. If you have a high budget, then you can go for air conditioners. Also, if you are going to use them rarely, then air conditioners will not give you high power bills. But ceiling fans are also not a wrong choice. If your budget permits, you can have both in your house. Using fan along with air conditioner will help in using the air conditioner for less time because the ceiling fan can keep the cool air circulating in the room for a very long time. So, now which one do you think is the best choice for your house?